You are viewing a DELETED record.
This record information is displayed for reference purpose only and should be not used.
This document has been updated. This is not the latest published version. Click here to view the latest version of the record.
Biosafety Organization (ORG)
last updated: 22 Sep 2023
State Scientific Institute Institute of Food Safety, Animal Health and Environment "BIOR"EN
Lejupes Street 3Riga,
Academic or research institute
The State scientific institute Institute of Food Safety, Animal Health and Environment "BIOR" shall:
1) on the basis of the laws and regulations regarding the circulation of genetically modified organisms and considering the binding opinion of the Scientific Expert Commission on the risk assessment and monitoring programme of genetically modified organisms, issue a permit for:
a) the contained use of genetically modified micro-organisms;
b) the release into the environment of genetically modified organisms for experiments;
c) the placing on the market of genetically modified organisms, with the exception of a permit for the activities specified in Regulation (EC) No 1829/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 September 2003 regarding genetically modified food and feed (Text with EEA relevance) (hereinafter - Regulation No 1829/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council);
2) amend or cancel a permit for the contained use of genetically modified organisms, as well as release into the environment for trials and placing on the market, if there are threats that the respective genetically modified organism may cause harm to human and animal health or the environment;
3) examine the opinions of the European Food Safety Authority, the European Medicines Agency and other competent authorities of other Member States of the European Union regarding the risk assessment related to deliberate release of genetically modified organisms, and prepare an opinion in accordance with Regulation No 1829/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council and Regulation (EC) No 726/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 31 March 2004 laying down Community procedures for the authorisation and supervision of medicinal products for human and veterinary use and establishing a European Medicines Agency, as well as the laws and regulations regarding deliberate release of genetically modified organisms, the procedures for monitoring and issuance of permit, and the procedures for the provision of information regarding the circulation of genetically modified organisms and the public involvement in the decision-making process;
4) organise and conduct the development and operation of the State information system accessible to the public - the Register of Genetically Modified Organism Circulation;
5) determine genetically modified organisms in food and animal feed samples, genetically modified animals, and also in seeds and plant propagating material;
6) perform the functions of a reference laboratory in identifying genetically modified organisms;
7) participate in the interlaboratory testing programmes organised by international organisations;
8) introduce internationally recognised methods for the identification of genetically modified organisms;
9) ensure the examination of genetically modified organism samples in foreign laboratories if the performance thereof is not possible in Latvia.