September 11 2023, marks the 20th anniversary of the entry into force of the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety under the theme “20 Years of the Safe Use of Biotechnology”.
As the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety enters its 20th year of implementation, we can celebrate a number of successes achieved at the national, regional and international level, including the recent adoption of the Implementation Plan and the Capacity-building Action Plan for the Cartagena Protocol at the tenth meeting of the Parties (COP-MOP 10). These plans are anchored in and complementary to the Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework and its Long-Term Strategic Framework for Capacity-Building and Development.
A series of events and activities will be convened to focus to highlight achievements, exchange perspectives and identify opportunities for strengthening implementation.
• A Webinar to mark the event on 11 September 2023 with the participation of representatives from Parties and Organizations (see Notification: 2023-089
, and Webinar Recording
• Reception to mark the 20th Anniversary of the entry into force of the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety, 19 October 2023, Nairobi, Kenya (Photos (end of page)
• A Global Risk Assessment Workshop on 30-31 October 2023 (see Notification: 2023-084
, Meeting page
and Group photo
• A 20th anniversary logo is available for use (see above)
• Promotional video clip
and articles and presentations
on this webpage
• UNEP/CBD 20th Anniversary Side Event at the Sixth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA-6), 29 February 2024 (see Programme page