Background to the Implementation Plan
Main steps in the development of the Implementation Plan for the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety
- February 2019 - Parties, other Governments, indigenous peoples and local communities and relevant organizations were invited to submit views on the structure and content of the post-2020 implementation plan for the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety. See notification 2019-027 (28 February 2019) and the submissions received. A synthesis of the submissions is available here.
- July 2019 - Open-ended online discussions were held to review the draft implementation plan for the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety prepared by the Executive Secretary on the basis of views submitted in response to notification 2019-027 and the guidance provided by the COP-MOP in its decision CP-9/7, paragraph 6. A report of the online discussions is available here.
- October 2019 - The Liaison Group on the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety met for its thirteenth meeting. It provided input to the revised draft implementation plan for the Cartagena Protocol, prepared by the Executive Secretary on the basis of the online discussions. The revised draft implementation plan is available in the annex of document CBD/CP/LG/2019/1/3 prepared for the meeting of the Liaison Group. The report of the meeting is available here. Following the thirteenth meeting of the Liaison Group, the Secretariat further revised the implementation plan, taking into consideration the advice provided by the Liaison Group. As part of this, the Secretariat developed an introductory text for the implementation plan, addressing inter alia: the alignment with the capacity-building action plan for the Cartagena Protocol and its complementarity with the post-2020 global biodiversity framework; evaluation and review; priorities and programming; and resources.
- December 2019- January 2020 - A peer review of the newly revised draft implementation plan took place in conjunction with the peer review of the draft capacity-building action plan for the Cartagena Protocol. The two plans were presented alongside one another to show their alignment and complementarity and to avoid duplication. Based on the submissions received through the review process, the Secretariat further revised the draft implementation plan, mainly to clarify terms and improve consistency.
- March 2022 - The Subsidiary Body on Implementation held its third meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, and considered the revised draft implementation plan provided in document CBD/SBI/3/18. It adopted SBI Recommendation 3/4 on the matter for consideration by COP-MOP 10.
- December 2022 - The Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety held its tenth meeting in Montreal, Canada, and adopted the Implementation Plan for the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety in Decision CP-10/3
Go to Implementation Plan