Share Information in the BCH
Priority area 3 of the priority areas of the Programme of Work on public awareness, education and participation regarding LMOs recommends that parties make use of relevant tools, guidelines and other related resources in developing training activities and materials related to public awareness, education and participation regarding LMOs. Parties are also encouraged to develop resources and make them available.
Numerous resources have been developed that support the implementation of the Programme of Work. A selection of these resources is made available below, under different tabs related to: public awareness; education; access to information; and public participation. In addition to these specific resources, some general resources are also made available under the general tab below.
The views expressed in the resources do not necessarily reflect the views of the Secretariat or the Parties to the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety.
- Public Awareness
- Access to Information
- Public Participation
- Joint CBD/Aarhus Convention pocket guide on access to information and public participation regarding LMOs, May 2021 - link (Other UN languages will be made available shortly)
- 2021 - 2030 National communication plan template, including a media engagement guide - link (Other UN languages will be made available shortly)
- Resources from the online discussion on public awareness regarding LMOs, March - April 2018 - link
- The Convention on Biodiverity's Communication, Education and Public Awareness (CEPA): A Toolkit for National Focal Points and NBSAP Coordinators - link
- Media and Outreach page, including international days, presentation templates, photo gallery, press page, RSS and press releases, news - link
- Biosafety Awareness Survey Template - link
- Factsheets and Banners - link
- Biosafety-related Publications and Information Resources - Biosafety Information Resource Centre (BIRC) - link
- Biosafety Protocol Newsletter - link
- Video on the Cartagena Protocol - link
- Youth Guide to Biodiversity (page 122) - link
- 15th Anniversary of the Entry Into Force of the Protocol (2018) webpage link
Plans, guides, manuals and strategies
- ABNE Communication Guide for Biosafety Regulators, 2010 - pdf
- APAARI Communication Strategy 2010-2015 - pdf
- Participatory Communication Strategy Design: A Handbook, 2004, prepared by the SADC Centre of Communication for Development in collaboration with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations - link
- Risk Communication Manual (FAO Asia-BIONET, 2005) - pdf
- Using the Media to Promote Awareness and Action - pdf
- Communicating: A guide for project participants (EU Research & Innovation) - link
- Workbook: Creating a Communications Plan - pdf
Public Awareness Surveys and Survey Reports
The views expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Organization.
This website provides information on surveys and methods, including a survey manual, used by the Afrobarometer.
This document provides information on a survey on public opinion and presence of LMOs in Cambodia.
This document has a section on communication and public participation that highlights the use of the Knowledge, Attitude and Practices (KAP) survey approach as a first step towards the development and formulation of a communication and public awareness strategy.
This document provides information on a survey on public opinion on GMOs in Lithuania.
This is the fourth comprehensive survey of U.S. consumer attitudes and public sentiment about genetically modified food conducted by the Pew Initiative on Food and Biotechnology. Similar comprehensive surveys were previously conducted in January 2001, August 2003 and September 2004.
This article describes results from the Public Acceptance of Agricultural Biotechnology and focuses on the views of the public on the GMO as a central feature of the controversy.
This link provides the results from a survey on Korean public perception of LMOs and the LMO Act.
This presentation highlights some key points in methodology used by UNFCCC.
These guidelines provide information on methods to design household surveys.
The handbook provides information on methods to conduct a household survey.
The handbook provides information on methods to conduct a household sample survey in developing and transition countries.
The document has been prepared by the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs. It has a number of recommendations for preperations on sampling survey reports.
A document provides information on the current conditions and justification for the study on environmental awareness, the review of the major hypothesis on environmental awareness formation, a review of major study on relationship between values/worldwiew and environmental awareness and a review of major studies that link environmental awareness and behaviour.
This record provides a toolkit of the Phase 1, Toolkit Module "Taking Stock" by UNEP-GEF. It contains, among other things, information on the scope of surveys.